Enrollment Process at the Montessori Country School
Contact the school by telephone, email or view the website to get initial information.
- Tour of the School
Set up an appointment to attend a tour of our facility, where you will fill out a short questionnaire and have the opportunity to see all of the classrooms in progress, as well as receive information about our programs. You will have the opportunity to observe a class and meet with your tour guide to have any questions answered.
After having an opportunity to read all applicable information, complete the application and submit to the Administrative Assistant. The application should also be accompanied by:
- The registration fee
- Appropriate health records (immunization)
The receipt of your application and fees will be placed in the application file and will be processed upon acceptance. *Please note: the registration fee will only be cashed when your child has been accepted into the program.
Any child for whom we receive an application after that child’s 4th birthday is subject to our assessment process. This process is comprised of:
- A minimum half day in class visit for Casa students and full day in class visit for Elementary Applicants
- A series of tasks assigned to that student over the course of the visit to assess the child’s level in reading, writing and mathematics
- Observation of the child’s social skills and behaviour over the course of the visit
- A meeting with the Vice Principal (Casa) or Principal (Elementary)
- A meeting between the parents and the Vice Principal/Principal to discuss the results of the assessment prior to acceptance
Acceptance of a child is based on several factors, including:
- A match between the parents’ and the school’s education goals for the child, as well as our ability to serve the child. This can be evaluated through an assessment by one of our teachers in the event the application is being tendered after the child’s 4th birthday. Consultation with parents is sufficient for children before their 4th birthday
- Returning students and siblings of current students are given priority, if re-enrollment occurs by due date
- New applications are selected to fill the remaining spaces with all efforts made to maintain age mix and gender balances within the classrooms
- Evaluations from the child’s previous school are considered, if applicable
- Each application is reviewed by Administration
- After application is processed, a letter of confirmation of enrollment will be sent out and the registration fee cashed
- Waiting List
Applicants who have been accepted for all reasons other than space availability will be placed on a Waiting List (completed application and registration fee must be on file). Once you are notified of an opening, acceptance must be confirmed within 5 business days, at which time your registration fee will be processed. If confirmation is not received within 5 days, we will offer the space to the next person on the Waiting List.
Families will be notified of class placement one month prior to starting. The balance of ages and genders is kept in mind when assigning children to classrooms. When you come for your transition visit, you will also receive a School Calendar and other pertinent information regarding the school year. Enrolments into all programs are on a first-come, first-serve bases and are available at all times during the year.
- MCS accepts children without assessment between the ages of 12 months and 3 years
- Any children to be enrolled after their 4th birthday are to be assessed by a teacher trained for the level the child would be placed in, unless they are transferring from another accredited Montessori School
- Parents may be asked to sign a Contract of Probation for any child enrolled after their 4th birthday if the child has special needs or behavioural issues
- MCS only accepts special needs children we feel can be successfully integrated into our regular programs. We do have a Resource program to address certain special needs and will apply for Speech or Occupational Therapy, through the CCAC, as required. If the school (Principal or Vice Principal, in consultation with classroom teacher) decides that Resource is necessary for a child enrolled in the school, every effort will be made to accommodate that child in the Resource program as soon as possible after an application has been processed. The cost of the Resource program is to be incurred by the parents.
- Students are admitted under the terms and conditions stated on the back of the Application for Admission
- Students in non-compliance with the MCS Code of Conduct can be withdrawn at the school’s discretion